Today Facebook did an incredible thing. They enabled folks like you and me to add organ donor status as a life event to our timeline. This made me cry with joy.
This is miraculous because with this action Facebook has…
- brought the need for organ donation to a national level,
- made it easy to tell our loved ones of our wishes, (did you know that despite first person consent laws, most organ procurement organizations will defer to family wishes? This means that even if you want to be a donor, if your family says no, despite your wishes or your registration, your organs will probably be buried with you),
- enabled organ donation conversations to become visible beyond the organ donor advocacy community (this means that those who still believe organ donor myths or misunderstandings about brain death can have more public participation).
So how about it? Are you a registered organ donor?
TELL THE WORLD ON FACEBOOK!
- Click on the Life Event tab above where you post your status updates.
- Scroll down to “Health & Wellness” and Click on it.
- Click on “Organ Donor” on the top right.
- Fill in the information.
God bless you Mark Zuckerberg.